Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Why Can't They All Be Like Mike?

I was reading a basketball blog recently and the author discussed a book he recommends to his players about Michael Jordan. In it, a story was told about how Phil Jackson used to hold an annual meeting with his players the night before training camp. He would go around to each player asking what their individual goals for the season were. Michael Jordan was always the last one to speak and he always had the same thing to share with his teammates:

“I have no individual goals. We play for one reason and that’s to win the title. Practice is more important than the games, and I will practice when I’m hurt, when 95 percent of the players in this league would sit out. I expect all of you to do the same thing. You will follow my lead.”

In terms of handling a defeat, Jordan said, “Accept a loss as a learning experience and never point fingers at your teammates.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish you could read this to our Green team before the next game!