Saturday, August 08, 2015
Friday, July 31, 2015
On July 24th 2015 MIIA representative Paul Connolly presented a hour long seminar/session for the Reading DPW Employees at the Reading DPW Garage. With over 30 Reading DPW attendees present; there was roughly a 90% DPW Employee attendance at the session. The Training Seminar, ‘Tips for a Healthy Summer’ was split up into three 15-20 minute mini-sessions that were all focused on smart and safe working practices for the Summer. Paul discussed Healthy Hydration and aspects of how one can sense or notice the onset of the body’s need of hydration. He then moved into skin protection and how and why different sunscreens play a role in protecting the skin while out working in the sun. Lastly Paul concluded with discussing back injuries and then involving all the attending employees in some stretches and safe lifting and working practices. MIIA also provided some handouts afterwards to all DPW attendees; each received a backpack, stainless steel thermos, trail mix container and a bottle of sunscreen. The Reading DPW wishes to thank MIIA for sponsoring and putting on such a beneficial training session.
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Thursday, April 16, 2015
- Get at least 15 minutes of simple exercise, like walking, biking, swimming or gardening, each day.
- Attend a balance and exercise program designed to help build balance, strength and flexibility.
- Ask your healthcare provider for an assessment of your risk of falling.
- Review your medications with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Get your vision and hearing checked, and talk to your vision and hearing specialists about falls.
- Eat regularly and choose a variety of vegetables and calcium-rich foods.
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
Tuesday, April 14, 2015
I just wrapped up a Group Exercise program this week for Chelmsford Municipal employees. It went very well. We covered a host of exercise modalities including conditioning drills, strength training with resistance bands, and balance work. I always enjoy getting back the completed evaluations from the participants. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive. Here's what a few of my students had to say...
- "Paul C. is the best! Great trainer- patient, observant, always ready to suggest a modification, kept a good pace, challenging enough but no so hard we get discouraged."
- Paul Connolly is a terrific coach- motivating instructor! He is passionate about his job, patient with students and offers positive reinforcement with encouraging words. Great coaching skills, fun music, humor, and positive energy."
- "Paul was a fantastic teacher, very encouraging and happy to answer any questions we had. He also taught us a wide range of exercises and stretches every week. I really enjoyed each week and looked forward to working hard every week."
- "I thoroughly enjoyed the entire class and thought Paul was a great instructor, especially his detail to instruction. I never really took a class that touched upon a little of everything. I really liked it and wished the gym had a class like Paul's!!"
- "Paul is a great coach. He is very knowledgeable, helpful, funny, and motivating. He sends weekly emails with lots of helpful information regarding health, exercise, and overall well-being. I strongly encourage other employees to take his class as I always get so much out of his programs."
- "I would take this class over and over- best thing I do for myself all week. Paul was a supportive instructor and the class was very challenging, but Paul was easy to follow and modifies exercises as needed."
- "Paul was very attentive to making sure everyone was safely working hard."
- "I looked forward to each class. I felt thoroughly energized after each class."
- "I've learned to focus on my breathing which has certainly helped me to be successful with the exercise positions. Paul is a wonderful instructor. He has a comforting demeanor. He explains every move with precision for anyone to be successful. He is extremely encouraging and has a great sense of humor."
- "Paul did a great job of doing the exercises with the group. He was easy to follow and very supportive of everyone."
- "This class increased my overall strength & balance and increased cardio tolerance. Instructor was awesome! Always patient and challenging."
- "Paul Connolly is motivating, pleasant, informative, and focused on improving the health of his participants."
- "Excellent explanation and demonstration of each exercise and stretch, including the modifications."
- "Excellent instructor- explained why we were doing exercises and always gave modifications."
- "Paul is excellent at motivating and being positive"
- "Paul Connolly is an awesome instructor. He was so personable. He shared great tips and modifications to those of us who were older. He was very motivational. Great class!"
- "I enjoyed working with Paul. No matter what level you are at, it can work."
Sunday, April 12, 2015
Saturday, February 07, 2015
"Make 2015 the year you finally own your health. The best way to start: See how you measure up for 10 of the most common—and telling—health indicators below"
"From the fitness trackers used by casual exercisers for motivation to the GPS watches and heart-rate monitors worn by athletes to better gauge effort, the data created by devices can become addictive."
Click here to read more:
Thursday, January 22, 2015
Monday, December 15, 2014
I finished teaching a Total Body Conditioning class today for the staff of Manchester-Essex Regional School District. They did an outstanding job! I got some great feedback including one person who wrote on their feedback form the following:
"Paul was so knowledgable and very thorough in his explanations of each exercise/position/stretch. His patience and positivity was great. I hope to work with him again in a similar program."
Wednesday, December 03, 2014
Monday, December 01, 2014
Whether they want to or not, consumers will soon know how many calories they are eating when ordering off the menu at chain restaurants, picking up prepared foods at supermarkets, and even eating a tub of popcorn at a movie theater.
Check out the full article HERE: