Friday, October 02, 2009

"Feel Free To Yell At Me"


The title for this blog post is an exact quote I received from an individual I recently put through a weight-training session. He admitted it was his first time being formally taught how to properly strength train. We were about to begin a 2nd set of DB Incline Presses and as he got ready to lift the weights, he said "Feel free to yell at me." Of course I chuckled and I said "Why would I do that?"

I think there's an awful misconception with some people thinking that personal trainers, strength coaches, etc... need to constantly yell at their clients to be effective. This couldn't be farther from the truth. I told my client that my number one concern was to ensure he had proper technique to ensure his safety. The last thing I cared about was how much weight he lifted. Why would I feel the need to yell at him? I don't know; it just struck me funny.

Ironically, a few years back I used to work with a trainer who yelled non-stop. I called him the "cheerleader personal trainer" of our staff. He had no education in training, yet a lot of people worked with him as they (mis)assumed that the trainer who yells is the most effective one. The technique of his clients was atrocious and I'm sure after my brief time working with him he's gone on to injure several clients.

Moral of the story: an effective trainer is one who pushes you safely and positively. Sure, I raise my voice once in a while but in a supportive manner.

No comments: