Wednesday, January 28, 2009

U.S. group sues Coke over VitaminWater health claims

The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), an organization whose "Nutrition Action Newsletter" I subscribe to, filed a lawsuit against Coke recently. Many of my colleagues are in agreement with the CSPI, confirming that there is too much sugar in Vitamin Water and it has next to nothing to offer, nutritionally. Frankly, it's just another drink I don't mind my clients consuming once in a while. Yes, the sugar content is high, but if gets them to hydrate and they want something different than tap water, I am OK with it. Sure, there are better alternatives (water with a slice of lemon, chilled green tea, etc...), but if it's in moderation I am completely fine with it. I'd much rather my clients focus on the bigger issues such as getting enough lean protein, fruits/veggies, fiber, etc... An occassional Vitamin Water isn't going to hurt them- or you.

No comments: