Thursday, January 15, 2009

Training Environment is Everything


I overheard a member of the fitness center I train some of my clients at the other day saying to their friend, "You should go to _______ Gym because they have the ________ machine." I had to bite my tongue, but thinking back I wonder if I should have said something. What this person has no idea of is that the equipment doesn't make the workout. Rather, the workout makes the workout. What I mean by that is what you put into your workout, and more importantly the environment in which you train, are what make your workout.

I'm fortunate enough to train in the varsity weight room at a local D-1 university (see above pics) surrounded by some great athletes, but more importantly great people. From helpful strength and conditioning coaches, great music, and a close proximity to my home, I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's a thrill to look around between sets and see how hard some of the athletes- and coaches- push themselves in their workouts. What belief I hold dearly is that hard work is contagious. Watching others work their tails off makes me push myself harder. This may be why I can't train at a commercial gym. Whether it's too much dilly-dallying or the horrendous choice in music, it just doesn't work.

What I want you to walk away from this blog post with is knowing that where and how you train means everything. If you don't train hard and you don't train around people who bust their butts and expect the same from you, you won't succeed. Surround yourself with positive people, great mentors, and of course good music (my favorite), and good things will happen. Don't be afraid to change venues if things aren't working out at your current facility. Don't be afraid to travel farther if it means better workouts. It'll be well worth your while in the long run.

No comments: