Thursday, August 06, 2009

Tanning Beds Boost Risk of Skin Cancer



The International Agency for Research on Cancer recently published a study that said using sunbeds before age 30 increases your risk of melanoma by 75 percent. I assumed the number was high, but not that high. It's a sad reminder of how unsafe these stupid tanning beds are. Sadly, I've had 2 friends battle melanoma over the last few months. One of them will be okay, having had successful surgery. Unfortunately, the second person passed away just over a month ago. I see many peers, clients, friends, etc... bask in the sun or in tanning beds. It's awful. Sure I'd like to have a more tan appearance so many are after, but not for the sake of contracting skin cancer. I'll take my 15 minutes/day outside to get my Vitamin D and be good. Sorry for the rant, but that stat just scared me when I read it this week.

For further info, here's a quick read on how to stay safe in the sun:
http://www.consumerreports.org/health/conditions-and-treatments/skin-cancer-squamous-cell/what-works/sunscreens/staying-safe-in-the-sun.htm

No comments: