Monday, August 10, 2009

PC Conditioning Boot Camp: An Inside Look





We had a great session tonight @ Boot Camp. We're halfway done and the group is doing excellent. I am seeing a lot of improvement in everyone. The "campers" know by now what a lot of my clients already do- that my goal is to make our time together a learning experience, not merely a training experience. Sure I could yell and scream for an hour and make 'em sweat 'til they puke, but if they're not learning how to eat better, why sleep is crucial to recovery, and how to implement total body workouts, I'd be wasting their money and my time.

Tonight I brought along a delicious snack for everyone to try. It was an "Omeaga Trek Mix" from Trader Joe's that consisted of individually pre-portioned dried cranberries, almonds, walnuts, and pecans. It's got plenty of good ("unsaturated") fat and curbs hunger until the next meal comes. I often use it as an afternoon snack. Here's the link for a complete caloric breakdown (http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/trader-joes/omega-trek-mix). Everyone seemed to like it. I just wanted to provide a healthy "go-to snack" when hunger hits (often in the mid/late afternoon for most people when they're at their desk at work).

We've been getting in some good quality circuit training at Boot Camp. I posted a few pics above of some of the campers going through one of the circuits they did tonight. I had them perform incline sprints, push-ups, and prone planks- tough stuff, particularly in this humidity. Great job everyone!

For homework, I am having everyone read the cover story from this week's Time Magazine entitled "Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin." I'll be sure to highlight some of the positive and negative aspects of the article and we'll chat about it as a group to further their knowledge of quality ways to burn calories and maintain a healthy weight. If you're interested in checking out the article, click here: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html I welcome your feedback.

No comments: