Saturday, November 07, 2009

Optimal Pregnancy Weight Gain

As a personal trainer who works with various populations, I have had the privilege of working with prenatal clients over the years. Often the question the clients pose to me (and their Dr. of course) is: "how much weight should I gain?" The Institute of Medicine recently made the following recommendations in May with regard to optimal weight gain during pregnancy:
  • Underweight women (BMI <18.5)= 28-40 lbs.
  • "Normal Weight" women (BMI 18.5-24.9)= 25-35 lbs.
  • Overweight women (BMI 25-29.9)= 15-25 lbs.
  • Obese women (BMI 30+)= 11-20 lbs.

Now you know :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice Post PC. Keep up the good work!

Paul C. said...

Thanks Glenn. I just figured since late summer is the most common time of the year for births in the US, now is the time people start trying to conceive. Therefore, it's important for my prenatal clients to comprehend what a healthy weight gain consists of.