Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Beat the Heat


With Boston temperatures oppressively warm this week (I'll be jealous when I look back at this entry in January when we have a foot of snow), please be certain to ensure you drink plenty of fluids. If you're exercising for over 60 minutes at a vigorous level or if you perspire a lot, it's safe to ingest beverages such as Gatorade that will help replace electrolytes (i.e. sodium, calcium and potassium). In essence, listen to your body. Temperatures exceeding 90 degrees with strong humidity don't warrant a hard run. I've seen many people out jogging and cycling this week, and I'm just hoping they're drinking enough water. Signs of dehydration include headaches, chills, nausea, and muscle cramping, the latter of which I've had when I didn't adequately hydrate before playing a basketball double header last summer. Long story short: take it easy this week and take the time to hydrate.

No comments: