Monday, May 11, 2009

ACL Injuries


Having played sports my entire life, I've seen quite a few injuries occur. For some reason, knee injuries scare me the most. I've seen my best friend suffer two ACL tears over his basketball career and other teammates deal with various knee issues. My knee injury was an MCL tear in 2000. I never had surgery and only feel discomfort once in a while during a butterfly stretch when I loosen up my adductors. That being said, I got thinking what sports possess the greatest number of ACL injuries. Here is what I found:


  • Girls' Soccer: One in 6,500 times an athlete practiced or competed

  • Football: One in 9,800 times an athlete practiced or competed

  • Girls' Basketball: One in 11,000 times an athlete practiced or competed

Source: Majewski M, Habelt S, Steinbrück K. Epidemiology of Athletic Knee Injuries: A 10-year Study. Knee. 2006(13):184-188.

No comments: