Sunday, November 23, 2008

Counting Calories


It's becoming increasingly evident to me the more I gather feedback from people looking to lose weight, the more I hear WAY too much about calories. To this day, I dont know if I've ever had people count calories. Of course, we've looked at sources of nutritously dense food, but it's never come to a point where I made people write out every single food they ate and track calories for everything. I've certainly made it a point to track specific nutrients like protein and fiber, but not calories for every item they ingest. Saying it's a waste of time sounds harsh, but a part of me thinks this is true.

Whether your goal is weight gain, loss, or maintenance, the focus should be on ingesting quality whole foods. Think lean protein (chicken and beans), unsaturated fats (fish and nuts, and complex carbohydrates (vegetables and whole grains). The detailed addition or subtraction of these macronutrients will yield optimum results, not counting calories.

No comments: