Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lifting Weights for Hoops


I came across a FANTASTIC article today from a Des Moines newspaper, courtesy of former NBA coach Eric Musselman. It's message is simultaneously powerful and truthful: you MUST strength train if you want to excel on the basketball court. If you know me personally, you know the passion I possess for basketball, but more importantly/specifically, its relationship to basketball.


When I was 15 I began a formal strength training program to better prepare my body for the rigors of basketball and it was the best decision I've ever made. Sure, I followed the foolish bodybuilder magazine routines along the way (thanks Joe Weider), but after years of practice I finally know what I'm doing. For me, it was being able to withstand the physical contact versus increasing the size of muscles. While I of course wanted to gain size (what male in his early teens doesn't?), I took up strength training to prevent injuries (it did) and to improve court performance.


After starting to lift weights in the off-season going into my Junior year in high school, I felt MUCH more confident taking the ball to the basket. I also felt much more comfortable "in my own skin," an issue most adolescent boys have issues with. That being said, if you're coaching basketball players or simply know an athlete looking to improve their performance and decrease their risk of injury, there's no better place for them to be than in the weight room- with an experienced coach of course.


No comments: