Thursday, January 06, 2011

Be SPECIFIC with your goal setting


I was thinking today how one of my biggest pet peeves this time of year is when people/clients aren't specific enough with their goal setting. If I hear "I just want to be healthy" one more time I'm gonna scream. Of course, I'm kidding, but it's crucial to be specific with your goal setting. Write down and track HOW you intend to conquer your goals. Here's a good example I found on Alwyn Cosgrove's blog that a client of his wrote down:

I am going to lose 12lbs of fat by March 1st 2011
I will do this by exercising six days per week for a minimum of 30 mins
This will include metabolism boosting resistance training three times per week for a minimum of 45 mins.
I will meet with a trainer at least once a week for my resistance training sessions.
I will then continue on a three times per week program including 30 mins of resistance training and 30 mins of cardio for the next 6 weeks.
I will cut 500 calories from my diet and track this.

Now THAT is how you plan out your goals!

No comments: