Sunday, June 21, 2009

Taking the Path (Stairwell) Less Traveled


In my June newsletter (http://pcconditioning.com/newsletters/2009June.pdf) I wrote a piece on how effective Step Mill machines were. I'm a huge fan of stair training, assuming your joints can tolerate it. Ironically, the New York Times recently ran a really good article on how stairs need to be encouraged more in the architecture of new building construction. I couldn't agree more. I was in a situation recently where I went to visit a relative at a local area hospital and when I asked where the stairs were, the woman I asked looked at me like it was strange for me not to take the elevator. Ironically, we went to the same floor and I beat her up :-)


Then, on my way out, I was only allowed to take the stairs to the 3rd floor. To go to the ground floor via the stairs, I'd have to know the keypad code to exit the building or the alarm would go off. Thankfully, a nurse was on her way out (soon-to-be lit cigarette in hand, mind you) and let me out too. Wow.


The full article from the New York Times can be read by clicking the following link:



No comments: