Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Point of Frustration

One of my roles in running my personal training business is to critique and modify the exercise regimen that people perform. I'll often sit down and chat with an individual to gather information on their training background (i.e. injury history, orthopaedic issues, strengths/weaknesses, goals analysis, etc....). It's frustrating to see some of the routines I see. I sometimes forget how terrible a lot of the information the mass media presents really is. In addition, people often learn their habits by watching/copying others who have no clue, so it essentially becomes the blind leading the blind.

I met recently with an individual who sat at a desk (like MILLIONS of other Americans) all day and her routine consisted of ZERO exercises to strengthen her postural muscles (i.e. rhomboids). Your routine should correlate to what you do for a living. The moral of the story:
  • If you SIT at a desk for 8+ hours/day at work
  • If you SIT in your car driving to and from work
  • If you SIT to watch TV when you have dinner after you get home from work...

...then you should NOT be SITTING during every exercise. You need to STRENGTHEN the weak links in the chain, which often include glutes and mid-back for many.

Email me (paulconnolly123@gmail.com) if you have specific questions.

No comments: