Monday, February 09, 2009

Something for Everyone


Someone in a recent class I was teaching asked me the infamous, "What's the BEST exercise for improving my balance?" Over the years, I've been asked "The BEST" question as I call it hundreds of times. People essentially are looking for the quickest means toward optimum results. Often times, there isn't always a straight answer I can give. Honestly, there are a lot of gray areas in my industry. It isn't all black and white. While I wish there was a blanket statement answer I could give every time they ask me a question, it'd make my job a heck of a lot easier- yet boring at the same time.


The fact we're all different in our own ways allows me to handle my clients individually. No one routine is identical to the next. Everything is relative. You need to do what works best for your body. While a push up may work for one person, an isometric hold may be better for the next. With respect to balance, yoga may be good for one person and tai chi good for the next. Don't be afraid to expose your body to different modes of exercise in an effort to avoid boredom and stimulate various muscle groups. Remember, life isn't black and white. There are plenty shades of gray.

No comments: