Monday, February 16, 2009

Do As I Say, Not As They Do



Many of you will have to re-read the title of today's post. What I specifically meant when I wrote that title was that I wish more would follow what I advise as opposed to copying others in the gym. I'm still baffled when I see some of what I do each week.


Working in a commercial gym provides catalysts for much of what I blog about. I saw someone the other day hyperextending their lumbar spine so much to the point I had to walk over and explain how awful the damage they're potentially causing was. A service to their core musculature could have been exercises like Palloff Presses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9luc3dg79F8) or Cable Chops (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4TjIXqIKyY).


Instead of mirroring the exercises others waste their time on in the gym (crunches and leg extensions, for example), choose exercises that work multiple joints and multiple muscle groups. Our muscles work in groups, not in isolation and should be trained accordingly. Do as I say in terms of the exercises you find on my site rather than copying others who are probably making mistakes in the gym anyway. It becomes a "blind leading the blind" approach where injuries are the ultimate result.


As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions.

No comments: