Business consultant/fitness specialist Megan Senger wrote an interesting piece for IDEA Fitness Journal in October about men's mental health. She wrote, 'while it's outside the scope of practice for a fitness professional to diagnose or treat mental illness, awareness is important.'
The following statistics highlight the need for more support in this area:
- More than 6 million men have depression each year
- Suicide is the 7th leading cause of death for all U.S. men
- Men are four times more likely than women to commit suicide
- Men underreport depression and may also underreport suicide attempts
- work "burnout"
- risk-taking behavior
- alcohol and substance abuse